Monday, May 10, 2010

Trojan Moosicorn

My friend Aron Nels Steinke is a student teacher in a 5th grade class at Buckman Elementary School here in Portland. Last Tuesday was a guest speaker. I read my comic, "Norman Eight's Left Arm" to the class, answered tons of questions, then drew a big picture on the dry erase board, which they decided was a "Trojan Moosicorn".

It's been a long time since I've been around elementary aged kids and it was wonderful. The kids were interested, fun, and full of creative energy. I got to look through a big stack of comics pages they've been working on class. It was inspiring to see how they intuitively solved different cartooning problems in interesting ways. I've been thinking about their comics all week and wishing I could look at them again. A good sign for the future of comics!

2 comments:

  1. yay! i bet that visit's going to stick in their minds forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Theo! My students were incredibly captivated. Your amazing voice acting skills impressed them as well.

    ReplyDelete