Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Ghost Show

I have one piece in the Ghost Show that's opening at Pony Club Gallery in Portland, Oregon.
I brought my unfinished piece for the Ghost Show with me to my class at ArtFest. I discovered that a lot of students don't like having to introduce themselves at the beginning of class, but it helps me feel like I can put a name to their face, so I decided to pass my unfinished ghost around the class and have the students introduce themselves to my art instead. The fact that every one of my students has held this ghost and introduced themselves to it feels like an important part of the piece now.
I brought it home and colored it just in time to give it to the curator, Jennifer Parks, to hang in the show. It's the ghost of an Ancient Multi-Dimensional Earth Native, just in case you couldn't tell.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This piece has completely transformed since my salutations at Imaginary School. Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw this piece tonight during First Thursday. Impressive as always! Such beautiful craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking personally, I think I might find it much more awkward to introduce myself to an artwork in a context like that, than simply speaking to the room. It seems like it would only add another layer of something to think about. (and does it serve a purpose? The closest analogue I can think of is how in parliamentary democracies like Canada & the UK all statements in parliament are phrased to sound like they're addressed to "Mr. Speaker", even though they're actually addressed to the opponents/the cameras)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Introducing yourself to an imaginary being is awkward, but it's a good mind-exercise and was meant to help set the scene for imaginary encounters in their own art. It was nothing like political bantering in Parliament, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is one of my favorite wooden pieces that you've made. I really like the idea of people introducing themselves to your art. Theo, you're a visionary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it a lot! Beautiful colours as well.....

    ReplyDelete