Thursday, December 31, 2009

making wood cut-outs for Christmas

I used my scroll saw and went crazy with some wood cut-out character Christmas present action. The Moore's (one of my favorite families ever) were kind enough to invite me to their place for Christmas since I couldn't make it to Montana this year. This one was for Trista. It's Wolf Boy Wearing his second favorite sweater.
This one was for Tiphoni. My Cat Mortimer really wanted to keep this one. It has 14 legs and 42 toes.This one is a tiny time traveler (actual size) that I made for Tracy. He put my cat to sleep using his special powers.This is The Temple Carrying Turtle I made for Teesha. I used one of my giant doodles as a back drop for this one.Special angled view shot.

This is the Big Head With Pants. He's a character I made up a long time ago and has become an ongoing joke between my Brother and I. He even used him in one of his animation assignments in school. I was not strong enough to resist making him this.This is a magic good luck dog I made for my Sister. All the colors in his fur don't really come across in this photo.This one was for my Mom. I snapped this shot and the other two for my siblings right as I was packing them into a box to ship home to Montana.

This one was for my Dad. It hung on my wall for about 5 minutes after being finished, then was packed away and sent to the Bay Area.

Now back to making comics! Happy last day of the year everyone!!

15 comments:

  1. I adore your work and am so jealous l dont have a friend that can creat and carve like you. I am so in awe of your drawings, printing and your wood work and so on.. You are one talented artist. I take photographs, make books, silk paint and lots of orger stuff. my family call me an eclectic artist and family counsellor! Hope you had a great Christmas and you are enjoying your new year. so glad l found your sight.
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are KNOCK-OUTS!!! So fun! What media are they done with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaah, I have just been on Teesha's blog and discovered the answer (since she is proudly showing off your work): colored pencil drawings mounted onto the wood - I wouldn't have thought of that. I guess that is easier than painting onto the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are really amazing. are they for sale? if so, how much?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your work! Your wood cut outs are amazing. Hope your Christmas was merry! Happy New Year to you and your art! ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, you have created masterpieces of your great drawings. WOW!! Perfect!! Happy new Year, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE these! Really wonderful and fun! What thoughtful, meaningful gifts! Can I ask what medium you used on the wood? Pens?

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    Debbie L

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your drawings are always wonderful, and now that you have made them 3-D they are all the more amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you should definitely consider making these to sell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning from snowy Michigan...these are amazing...would you consider selling them.....?
    Your work seizes to amaze me...

    ReplyDelete
  11. loving your stuff - just found you on boingboing and had to link to you on my blog. i hope that's alright - just want to pass on your grooviness to inspire my friends and fellow artists. happy oh-ten to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oops i mean i found ya on DRAWN! even better than being found on boingboing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey man those are really well done. i especially like the colors.and all the characters seem fun..and funny looking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you really blew me away! these are terrific. suspended time terrific!!!! please do not ever stop doing what you do.

    ReplyDelete