Thursday, March 1, 2012

giant comics and secret books

The Understanding Monster is the comics series I've been quietly working on for quite awhile now. If all goes well, the first installment will come out in October. Finishing it on time is my ultimate art goal this year. This book begins a story I'm hoping to tell for a long time to come. Making this comic has been the weirdest and most exciting artistic process I've experienced by far. I've been pretty secretive about it so far, but as I get closer to finishing it, I'll probably start talking about it more.

This is one small panel from a page in the book depicting some room mutation. There's a lot of room mutation going on.
This is a book of stream-of-conscious drawings and writings I made leading up to Griffin's birth. He was actually born the day after I finished the last page. Filling this book was a valuable process for me, and I feel like it mentally prepared me to become a dad. I haven't really shown it to anyone. I should probably make it into a little publication at some point, when I have time.
This is the back cover. The mummy and the library will also be seen in The Understanding Monster.

one page spread from My Thesis on Multi-Dimensional Brain Travel.

Logic Storm is another stream-of-conscious drawing book I made while trying to get my head around some of the concepts I've been working with in The Understanding Monster. It's a "Thinking" book, and making it helped me figure out a lot of things that I couldn't have figured out just by thinking. It's weird, my first instinct when I finish something like this is to put it away and not show it to anyone, but I'm also trying to make a living with my art so I can keep making art all the time. My desire to share my art with the world and my weirdo reclusive side are constantly at odds. Secret Acres offered to put this out as a pamphlet comic, and I'd like to take them up on it. I'll probably make a new cover if I do.
This is a 12 page comic I made for an upcoming End Of The World themed anthology that's going to be published in English and Spanish. I decided to fold and staple my drawing paper and work on both sides of each page so that the original became an actual book. I made a color cover, mostly just for myself, but if I can get around to it, I'd like to make it in to a little handmade mini comic as well.

Thanks for looking.

8 comments:

  1. id just like to say this is absolutely fascinating. thank you so much for sharing, and i look forward to owning a piece of your work such as these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new stuff looks amazing, Theo -- "Capacity" was great, but this is taking it to the next level. Will you have any new stuff with you at Stumptown this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! You really have an amazing imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Even in your post you are at odds with putting stuff out there. But I get that ambivalence--and there's nothing wrong with mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excited about all these things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Put me down for preorder. I absolutely adore all of it. I understand your reticence its part of the reason i love your blog there are so many blogs that are simply Self promotion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just love all the detail you put in, Artists' Books are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete